|Location||University of New South Wales, Faculty of Medicine|
Obesity management & prevention in primary health care
The Centre for Obesity Management, Prevention and Research Excellence in Primary Health Care (COMPaRE-PHC) has been funded by the Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute (APHCRI) for four years from 2012. It is a collaboration between six institutions: the University of New South Wales (UNSW), University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Deakin University, Adelaide University, and Inala Indigenous Health Service in Brisbane. The COMPaRE-PHC will evaluate and translate new ways of managing overweight and obesity across the lifecycle and among disadvantaged groups by primary health care services in Australia.
Four full-time PhD scholarships will be offered across the six institutions. People interested in this area of research are invited to lodge an expression of interest in the first instance. Specific areas of interest are in:
1. Obesity prevention in early life
2. Obesity management in disadvantaged populations
3. Obesity prevention and management in Indigenous communities
4. Implementation of guidelines for prevention and management of obesity in PHC.
The value of each scholarship is $26,000 pa, which includes a tax-exempt allowance of $25,000 p.a. and $1,000 p.a. for research-related costs. The scholarships are for a period of 3 years, which must commence by June 2013 and cannot be deferred.
The minimum expected academic qualifications of applicants are Honours 2/1 or equivalent in relevant disciplines. Applicants must be Australian citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and must be based in Australia for the duration of the Scholarship.
Expressions of interest will be received until 22 March, 2013. The written expression of interest should provide availability; preferred institution; a brief curriculum vitae including qualifications, research experience and any publications; two referees; current contact details; and an outline of your interest in the areas of the research we are undertaking. Expressions of interest should be emailed to Dr Catherine Spooner at email@example.com.
Interested researchers are encouraged in the first instance to contact one of the following investigators about topic areas of interest:
1. Obesity prevention in early life Dr Karen Campbell, Deakin University (03) 522-78414 firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr Elizabeth Denney-Wilson, UTS (02) 9514-4554 Elizabeth.Denney-Wilson@uts.edu.au
2. Obesity prevention and management in Indigenous communities Dr Deborah Askew, Inala Indigenous Health Service, QLD Health (07) 3275-5465 email@example.com
3. Obesity management in disadvantaged populations Prof Nigel Stocks, University of Adelaide (08) 8313-3462 Nigel.firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof Mark Harris, UNSW (02) 9385-8384 email@example.com
4. Implementation of obesity guidelines in PHC Prof Mark Harris, UNSW (02) 9385-8384 firstname.lastname@example.org
See our full disclaimer